Senior citizen discounts
Taking advantage of senior citizen discounts may reduce your retirement costs and free up funds for other activities. “Every dollar can really add up,” says Sara Skirboll, a shopping and trends expert at RetailMeNot. When looking for discounts, always keep your identification handy, as some places will ask to see a form of ID to check that you have reached the qualifying senior discount age before applying any promotions. The amount you save might depend on factors like your age or whether you use the discount on a certain day of the week or month. “Some discounts and offers are only available for specific dates or times, and the age requirements vary from place to place,” Skirboll says. Here’s a list of great deals for senior citizens.
Restaurant senior discounts
Promotions for seniors at restaurants might only be available on certain days of the week or at certain locations. “Always ask, since many restaurants do offer discounts, even if they aren’t advertised,” says Lindsay Weekes, deputy editor at Brad’s Deals. Look for these restaurant senior discounts:
- 10% off purchases for seniors at participating Dairy Queen locations.
- Denny’s 55-plus menu, which offers discounted prices for seniors.
- Discounts on beverages and coffee at participating McDonald’s locations.
- IHOP’s 55-plus menu, which offers deals for seniors.
- Bonefish Grill offers 10% off to AARP cardholders.
Retail senior discounts
Some retailers provide a senior discount on a specific day, such as every Wednesday or the first Tuesday of the month. “Plan ahead before going,” Weekes says. Watch for these retail senior discounts:
- Amazon Prime: Offers a discounted membership to those with a Medicaid card.
- Kohl’s: Offers a senior discount of 15% every Wednesday.
- Michaels: 10% off every purchase, including sales items, every day for those age 55 and older.
- Ross Stores: Features 10% off for seniors every Tuesday.
Grocery store senior discounts
Supermarket deals for seniors often vary by location and may only apply on certain dates. Check with your local branch to learn about specific senior discounts in your area. Keep an eye out for the following grocery store senior discounts:
- Albertsons: Grants seniors 10% off on the first Wednesday of the month at participating locations.
- BI-LO: Offers 5% off on a specific day at participating locations.
- Fred Meyer: Includes 10% off on select items for those 55 and older.
- Hy-Vee: Gives seniors 5% off on Wednesdays at participating locations.
Hotel senior discounts
If you don’t see a promotion for seniors listed when booking a hotel reservation, “Don’t be afraid to ask,” Skirboll says. You might learn of a deal you didn’t know about. A few notable hotel senior discounts:
- Best Western: Guests age 55 and older can save up to 15% at select locations.
- Days Inn: Offers senior rates to guests 60 and older.
- Choice Hotel: Grants AARP cardholders and those 60 and over a 10% discount on advance reservations.
- Marriott: Offers a 15% discount or more to those 62 and older on stays at participating locations.
- Motel 6: A senior discount of up to 10% off the best available rate for guests age 60 or over.